Last updated on 04 mai 2020
Published on May 4, 2020 Updated on May 4, 2020

Passing the French language test (fr. Test de connaissance du Français or TCF)


Most of the courses offered at the Université Lumière Lyon 2 are taught in French. It is therefore necessary that students of foreign nationality have a sufficient level of proficiency in French in order to understand the content of the courses they follow.

If you wish to enroll in a Bachelor’s 1st year (fr. L1) and you do not have the DELF B2 or DALF, you must apply for a French language test TCF specific to the preliminary admission application, called "TCF for DAP". This test is compulsory for 1st year students (L1).

If you wish to register for the TCF for DAP :

  • If you reside abroad, you need to contact the French Embassy's department for Cooperation and Cultural Action, the CampusFrance website or your nearest approved TCF test centre
  • If you reside in France, you must register online throught the CIEP (France Education International) platform. You will find all the practical information here.

You are exempt from the TCF for DAP if:

  • You are from a country where French is the official language: Belgium, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Guinea-Conakry, Haiti, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritius, Monaco, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Switzerland, Togo, Vanuatu. When French is not the only official language in your country: you must justify that your secondary education was completed in full in a French-language institution.
  • You are Mauritanian: if you are in possession of a baccalaureate with a bilingual mention, you are exempted from the French language test (TCF). Otherwise you must pass the TCF at the required level.
  • You are a student from an institution that has a French bilingual section, appearing on the list established jointly by the Ministries of Higher Education and Foreign Affairs.
  • You hold a DELF B2 (fr.Diplôme d'études en langue française; en. Diploma in French Studies) for courses requiring a B2 level or a DALF C1 or C2 (fr.Diplôme Approfondi de Langue Française; en. Diploma in Advanced French) for the other courses.
  • You hold a DUEF (fr.Diplôme Universitaire d'Etudes Françaises ; en.University Diploma in French Studies) awarded by the University Centres of the ADCUEFE network at B2, C1 or C2 level depending on the requirements of the course requested.
  • You have successfully passed the French Language Assessment Exam (fr. Test d'Evaluation du Français or TEF), organised by the Paris Chamber of Commerce and Industry and you have obtained at least 14/20 in the writing test.
  • You are an citizen of a European member country, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, you can apply directly to our university, which will then make decide whether or not you should take a French language test.